Top 5 Foods in the South
Hey y'all! Time has flown and it's been waaayyyy too long since I last posted. So I'm back, with another fun blog post! As y'all know, I live in the South, which most people can tell right away when they meet me due to my thick Southern accent. I love living in North Carolina, and I truly consider it a blessing. One of the greatest things about living in the South is the food. We sure do have some good food down here! It's so hard to pick, but I have narrowed down the Top 5 Foods In The South.
- Fried Chicken. This is a go-to in the South. In fact, most people, if asked to name one food that represented the South, would probably say fried chicken. I know I would. I know, I know, it's not the healthiest, but oh wow it's so good!
- Cornbread. True, this isn't a main dish, but cornbread is definitely sustenance in the South!
- Casseroles. No matter what type, the South is all about their casseroles, especially at family gatherings. Some of my personal favorites are chicken casserole, green bean casserole, and squash casserole.
- Chicken Pie. Mmmm, this is my childhood. The smell of it is permanently embedded in my brain. Actually, there are two different types of chicken casserole, the famous chicken pot pie with a typical pie crust (my mom has the absolute BEST pie crust in the world), and spooned chicken pie, which just so happens to be the kind my nana makes. I really don't know how to describe it, but I think you put biscuit dough on top? Ooh, both are so good!
- Fried Okra. Needless to say, we Southerners love our fried foods. These little forgotten about veggies are delicious coated with a crispy batter.
6. Pimento Cheese. My sister would not agree with this, as this is the one food she won't touch with a six foot pole. With only three ingredients, pimento cheese is super easy to make, too. Mayo, cheese, and pimento. What's pimento, you ask? Remember those little red things in the middle of a green olive? Yep, that's a pimento. They come in a jar, and are the only reason my sister doesn't like pimento cheese. If you haven't tried this deliciousness, I would highly recommend. Served on a sandwich, on a cracker, or melted on a burger, it's phenomenal. Oh, and did I mention you can add bacon?
I hope you enjoyed reading this! Was there anything on this list you've never tried before? Are any of your favorites on the list? Comment below what you think should have been in the top five!!